Cristofer Odqvist joins today’s episode all the way from Sweden! An awesome producer with a decade of experience under his belt, Cristofer boasts a wide range of production expertise. In addition to making great tracks, he has mixed audio for commercials, recorded voiceovers, and produced music for television. Cristofer is also the author of the music production book, Making Sound, and he maintains a Twitter account with music production tips and tricks.
You’ll hear some of his best production techniques today, including advice on programming drums, using compression, producing vocals, and more.
The audio tip of the week is about trusting your ear, not your gear. When it comes to mixing, producing, and recording, there are so many people out there trying to convince you that you need a certain piece of equipment, an expensive microphone, a new plugin, etc. But in reality, your ear, the techniques you use, and how you recorded the song will take you much further than one piece of expensive equipment. Don’t buy into the idea that you have to invest tons of money into your studio to get started. Of course, you want to build out your studio as you go, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get great sound before you do. Technology and stock plugins are getting better and better all the time. If you don’t have the finances to get that fancy piece of equipment, save up and build your studio piece by piece, but keep making music the whole way.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: It’s your ear, not your gear.
- Cristofer’s all-time favorite production tips.
- The best technique for using compression.
- How to get awesome results when programming drums.
- Tricks for producing vocals.
- Cristofer’s go-to plugins.
- Advice for using EQ.
- The key to producing a great-sounding track.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Cristofer: Website | Twitter
- Making Sound by Cristofer Odqvist. Here’s a special 20% discount code for AudioSkills listeners… just enter the code AUDIOSKILLS when you go to purchase it.
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder