In this episode, you’ll hear all about in-the-box mastering from successful mixing and mastering engineer, Adam Harr. Based out of California, Adam has worked with artists like Cheap Trick, Frank Ocean, Muse, and Bruno Mars, as well as legendary producers like Pharrell and Rick Rubin.
Adam is also an AudioSkills instructor, having put together The Mastering Crash Course, a step-by-step walkthrough of mastering in the box. Listen in to today’s episode to hear his tips and advice for getting great results with your music.
The audio tip of the week is about the importance of dynamics. When mixing, don’t forget that music is meant to be dynamic. That’s what keeps it interesting and engaging for listeners. A lot of times people get carried away with using compression or wanting to build volume in, and they forget about this crucial element. Even if you’re programming drums or just producing, keep in mind how real musicians play. Mix it up a bit so you have some quiet parts and some loud parts, try making your chorus a little louder or more energetic than your verse, etc. You will be better served if you remember that performances should be dynamic and make sure your own tracks reflect this.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: Don’t forget the importance of dynamics.
- The benefits of mastering in the box.
- How to build loudness into a master without going overboard.
- Tips for using EQ and getting great results without doing too much.
- Why Adam uses tape saturation.
- How to use compression effectively.
- The problem with automated mastering services.
- Advice for getting great results mastering in the box.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Adam: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn
- The Mastering Crash Course
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder