Today’s guest is David A. Lopez, a mixing engineer with over 20 years of experience and the owner of the David A. Lopez Mixing, Mastering and Audio Finishing service. Based out of Orange County, California, David began engineering when he was just 17 years old. He now works primarily with independent artists outside of the major label scene to help them develop their music careers.
Given that David has been at it for well over two decades, he certainly knows quite a bit when it comes to the craft. In this episode, he shares his insight on mixing and the importance of capturing emotion in a project, as well as his best advice for getting better results in your own music.
The audio tip of the week is about making your project sound good before adding any plugins. There are so many great plugins out there—in fact, there are too many—so it’s tempting to start slapping them on everything. But before you do that, try to get something that sounds solid with the very basics. You may find that a panning decision saves you from having to mess with reverb or EQ to make a track fit together, or that some simple audio editing can really spice up your sound. Going back to the basics is never a bad thing when it comes to mixing, and it just might get you better results and improve your audio skills in the process.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: Do as much as you can to make your project sound great before adding plugins.
- David’s top mixing tip.
- The best ways to use EQ.
- Advice for getting better results from the low end of a mix.
- What to listen for in order to figure out what a song needs.
- How to use compression well.
- Tips for approaching the high end.
- The harm in following the same template to mix all your music.
- Ways to build your client base if you want to offer paid music services.
Featured on the Show:
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder