Today’s guest is Lij Shaw, producer, engineer, and musician. He owns the Toy Box Studio, a Grammy winning studio based out of Nashville. Lij is also the host of the excellent Recording Studio Rockstars podcast! On that podcast Lij interviews all kinds of pros in music to bring his audience exciting stories, tricks, tips, and insights from the recording studio.
Lij also has recently launched a brand new course called Rockstars of Drums where he walks through how to get awesome results when recording and mixing drums.
The audio tip of the week is about never being afraid to try something new. Developing your recording and mixing workflow through repetition is important… but changing things up can also provide benefits. If you always start with the vocal, you can mix things up by starting with the lead guitar. The worst case scenario is you decide you liked the way you were doing things before or you’re unhappy with the results. The best case is you find a new efficiency or unlock new creativity. Music is art, and sometimes shaking things up can give great results.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: Don’t be afraid to change up your workflow.
- Lij’s favorite drum microphones, and other gear recommendations.
- The #1 mixing tool Lij likes using to make drums sound great.
- How to mic up drums to capture the best sound.
- The most important thing to consider when recording drums.
- How careful use of drum samples can bring out the best in your music.
Featured on the Show:
- Rockstars of Drums – Lij’s awesome drum recording and mixing course.
- Connect with Lij: Website | Twitter
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
- AudioBlocks – Get access to a library of royalty-free audio, video, and image files with membership!
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder