We have another return guest on the show today! We’re joined again by Kendal Osborne, owner of The Closet Studios and host of the excellent Recording Lounge Podcast. Kendal is also an AudioSkills instructor, teaching two courses, The Art of Compression and The Art of EQ.
Kendal has a lot of excellent advice when it comes to using EQ and compression effectively in a mix. Listen in as Kendal dispels myths about these two important tools, helps you think about and understand them in a more complete way, and more. Kendal has been known to go on some epic rants about EQ and compression, and this show is no exception… so buckle up!
The audio tip of the week is about starting with a larger or more impactful move, and then working backwards. Oftentimes people struggle with the best way to dial in their plugin settings. One effective technique is to set things to where you know it’s too much, and then dial it back to where it’s more subtle. It may sound strange, but it can help you big time, especially if you’re newer to mixing.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: How to dial in plugin settings by over-doing it intentionally then walking it back.
- If you should compress or EQ first.
- Kendal’s favorite tips for having success with EQ and compression.
- The key things to know about using presets when compressing or EQ’ing.
- What the biggest misconceptions about compression and EQ are.
Featured on the Show:
- The Art of Compression – AudioSkills course taught by Kendal Osborne.
- Compressor Release Time “Myth” – YouTube video by Kendal Osborne
- Commonly confused audio terminology – Kendal breaks down the most confused audio terms.
- Connect with Kendal: Website | Facebook
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
- Audioblocks – Get access to a library of royalty-free audio, video, and image files with membership!
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder