In this episode, Scott was joined by a true mastering guru! Ian Shepherd is an accomplished mastering engineer, audio educator, and crusader against the Loudness Wars (he even founded an event called “Dynamic Range Day” to raise awareness). Ian co-hosts an awesome podcast called The Mastering Show, which is great to listen to if you want to dive even deeper into this audio field!
Today’s show is all about mastering. Scott and Ian discuss how to get great sound when mastering, what you need to know about automated mastering services, and so much more. If you’ve ever been confused about how to make your masters sufficiently loud, yet still dynamic and polished, this episode will offer a ton of insight.
The audio tip of the week is about knowing the truism that you “can’t polish a turd.” Sure it’s a bit of a crass way of saying it, but it’s accurate. No matter how good at mastering you are, if you are handed a mix that is just an absolute mess, you’re going to have a tough time making it sound truly great. If you’re mastering for yourself, going back to the mixing phase if you have too many problems is the best option.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: know when something can’t be polished.
- Which plugins can help you get awesome results when mastering.
- Which is better between in-the-box versus out-of-the-box mastering (hint: it’s neither).
- How to make tracks loud, without ruining dynamics.
- Ian’s thoughts on if automated mastering services are good or not.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Ian: Website
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
- How loud should you make your music? Ian’s helpful article: The simple solution to optimizing playback volume online – and everywhere else
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder