It’s time to learn how to get pro vocal sound even in a home studio! In this episode, Scott is joined by Rob Mayzes, musician and audio engineer, who knows a ton about getting great results with home recording and producing. Rob also runs the excellent site, Musician On a Mission , which helps folks of all skill levels learn how to take their home recordings and mixes to the next level.
On today’s show, vocals are once again the topic of discussion. Whether you’re recording vocals, mixing them, or just trying to make smart and creative moves… there are a TON of effective techniques you can use to get great results. Some people might say you can’t get a pro sound in an imperfect space like a bedroom, or without super expensive mics… Rob and Scott politely disagree. Listen in to get tips and advice to help you improve your vocals right now!
The audio tip of the week is one from a member of the AudioSkills community. It’s all about using delay on vocals. If you follow this technique, you can not only get better results with delay… but also have added control over your vocal while doing it. One of the things that almost every producer or mixing engineer will say is that if you have more control over the vocal, you can make it sound better. This simple technique helps you control your vocal delays!
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: using delay on vocals.
- What separates a good sounding vocal versus an amateur sounding vocal.
- How to compress vocals to get quality sound, while keeping the performance dynamic.
- How to deal with sibilance and plosives the right way.
- Tips and advice for using effects on vocals without overpowering them.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Rob: Start a free vocal mixing tutorial series on Musician On a Mission
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
- Mic Rob Recommends: Rode NT1A Vocal Condenser Microphone
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder