We all want pro sound, even if we’re working in a home studio and don’t have the most expensive gear. The good news is, quality sound is incredibly achievable as long as you know the right techniques. Enter our brilliant guest for this week, Ken Theriot of Home Brew Audio. Ken specializes in showing people how to get great sound without needing to buy a ton of new gear.
On this episode of the AudioSkills Podcast, Scott and Ken talk about the keys to getting that “pro sound” you want in a home studio environment, even if you have budget gear. Did you know, for example, that it’s very possible to make a $5 mic sound significantly better than a $500 mic? The difference comes down to techniques. Listen in to get recording and mixing advice you can apply to your music RIGHT NOW.
The audio tip of the week is all about getting inspired… or more accurately, why waiting for inspiration is a HUGE mistake. So many musicians and aspiring producers/engineers don’t make music when they’re not “feeling it.” If you wait for inspiration, you’ll never get anything done. The key is sitting down and getting to work. Inspiration comes from DOING.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: the real key to inspiration.
- How to know when you should compress or not.
- What huge lessons Ken Theriot learned from his time recording.
- How to avoid ruining a track with too much reverb (or other effects).
- Ken Theriot’s favorite recommendations on gear and plugins.
- Ken’s favorite tips and advice on using EQs.
Featured on the Show:
- Ken Theriot’s Audio eBook: 6 Mostly Free Tips for Making Your Audio Sound Expensive.
- Connect with Ken: Twitter | Facebook
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder