What’s better than a two-time AudioSkills Podcast guest? A three-time AudioSkills Podcast guest! Ben Runyan, Philadelphia-based music producer and educator is back with some more excellent advice on getting quality sound when you produce. In addition to teaching at Drexel University, Rowan University, and the University of the Arts, Ben is also creating weekly tutorial videos for AudioSkills on YouTube!
In this episode we talked a lot about vocal production, but there are a ton of great takeaways on compression, EQ, using audio effects, and more.
The audio tip of the week is about boosting with EQ. Yes, the “rule of thumb” that you should cut before you boost is still great advice to follow. That said, there are reasons and moments when boosting with an EQ instead of cutting can yield some excellent results. You just have to remember to be extra careful when boosting because you CAN go overboard with it.
In the interview, Ben shares what projects he’s been working on lately, and talks a lot about the videos he’s been creating for the AudioSkills YouTube channel. If you’ve ever wanted to really dive in and see how a successful producer approaches his craft, you’ll want to listen in closely!
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Audio tip of the week: Tips for boosting with EQ.
- Ben’s favorite technique for making vocals shine.
- Gear and plugin recommendations to help you get pro results no matter what kind of music you’re making.
- How to use delay to make your projects sound polished.
- How to compress vocals AND EQ them successfully.
- And a whole bunch more!
Featured on the Show:
- Producing with Ben Runyan YouTube Series: Click here to watch
- Connect with Ben Runyan: Website | Facebook | Spotify
- The Music Production Crash Course
- Neutron 2 from iZotope
- Connect with the Show: Website | YouTube
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to the AudioSkills Podcast!
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder