This article is part of our FAQ series, published on our blog. Click here to view the blog archives.
Question: What’s the difference between stock and premium plugins?
Just like there are those who think gear is the only thing that matters, there are those who say you can’t get a good mix using stock plugins.
I simply disagree with that line of thinking!
Now of course there are some differences between stock plugins and premium plugins, which I discuss below…
- Stock plugins can be just as effective as premium plugins for cleaning up your mix.
- The biggest difference between stock and premium plugins is how they “color” the sound.
- The skills and technique of the producer will ALWAYS matter more than the type of plugin used.
- If you’re a beginner… don’t worry about buying expensive plugins… develop skills with the stock plugins in your DAW first.
- The 28 Best Music Production Plugins (Recommended by the Experts) [AudioSkills Guide]
- The 51 Best Mastering Plugins (Recommended by the Experts) [AudioSkills Guide]
Not Sure The Best Way To Get Started?
Here are some of my best resources to help you get started FAST...
=== Watch & Listen ===
- Step #1 - Listen to The AudioSkills Podcast for actionable tips you can immediately apply to your music
- Step #2 - Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new tutorials on mixing, mastering & music production
=== The Essentials (Everything You Need To Get Started) ===
Free Guides: 121 Mixing Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 EQ Tips 'n' Tricks | 47 Compression Tips 'n' Tricks | EQ Cheat Sheet | Compression Cheat Sheet | Home Recording Cheat Sheet | Mastering Cheat Sheet | Music Production Cheat Sheet | Top 20 DAWs
=== Go Even Deeper With Premium Video Courses ===
- Art of Home Recording [Instant Download]
- Art of Mixing Vocals [Instant Download]
- Music Production Crash Course [Instant Download]
- Ultimate Mixing Crash Course [Instant Download]
~~~ "Just Give Me Everything, Please!" ~~~
Get instant access to ALL of the video courses (plus a whole lot more) with a Free 14 Day Trial to AudioSkills. You'll be joining a private, friendly community of musicians and producers who are upping their game, just like you!
Personal Note: Thank you for being a member of the AudioSkills community! If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on Facebook. — Scott Hawksworth, Founder